A list of terms and definitions:
- Ground State - The lowest energy configuration of a molecule
- Excited State – Any stable configuration of a molecule that exists at an energy above the ground state.
- Configuration – A certain geometric arrangement of atoms in a molecule, or an arrangement of electrons.
- Photon – Another name for light. Can be thought of as a packet of energy.
- Recombination – When an excited state system returns to the ground state, the stored energy is lost. This process is called recombination because the electron recombines with the “hole” it left behind.